As Pamela Wynne so eloquently put it:
"A swingy lace cardigan, made to fit a grown-ass woman, lovingly based on Elizabeth Zimmermann’s classic “Baby Sweater on Two Needles,” from Knitter’s Almanac."
So, I lovingly based my Summer Top on her pattern increases from zimmerman's piece and completely went in another direction.. and opted to leave it sleeveless.
I put this down for exactly three weeks because real life was knocking on the door. When I picked it up, I thought I would have a difficult time remembering where the pattern was, but I only ended up having to frog a row to get back on track. Woops.
I bought ten balls, it was on sale, just in case I needed more. I ended up not knitting long sleeves, so it turns out 5 balls EXACTLY. I have enough to make another if I want! eeeee!!! So, I started the lace pattern but wasn’t feeling it, so I ventured off into bobble and cable land and ended up finding a couple of stitch patterns that I loved in the Knitting Bible Stitch Collection by Maria Parry-Jones. First attempt at bobbles (not as difficult as I imagined) and I had to flip the cable pattern to work it upside down. I plan to turn the cable panel into owl heads stacked ontop of each other.. beads or buttons? I’m not there yet.
This was not my color of choice, so I most likely will end up dying it or bleaching it to a lighter color. I’m thinking cotton shows even the slightest changed in tension, so probably not the best fiber for ME to use when attempting bobbles and working cables, but I’m loving every minute of it!
I only stayed true to the garter portion of the February pattern, with the increases at the stitch markers. A few notes as to the increasing to match the stitch patterns:
Knitted a size small, the gauge is a bit smaller, but I wanted it that way. I decreased to 251 stitches instead of 252, and divided them up like so:
+9(28)( 5 1 )( 7 5 )( 5 1 )(28)+9
9 in garter
28 for panel
51 for sleeves
75 for the body
cable panel- multiple of 25 +1 (I added a stitch on either side of the panel.)
bobble pattern- multiple of 12 +3
Tweaking the math was the big challenge for me since I’m a numb skull, but taking sizing and all that into consideration was part of it. Not to mention, it’s cotton, so it’ll drape different from most of the wooly pictures I’ve seen.
Bleached it last night and wasn’t able to get all the color out of some of the bobbles and creases in the cables.
As much as I LOOOOVED it white, I ended up dying it burgundy today, and I can’t wait to see how it looks dry. Now if I can only hold off the antisipation of adding buttons.
agony agony agony!!
I DID IT!!!! IT'S DRY!! I LOVE THE COLOR THE BESTEST FOREVER.
I am now in the process of sewing the beads onto the cable panel to create owl faces.. I have 8 sewn on and there are 11 faces in each panel, but sewing the eyes on was surprisingly quick.